If you are what you read, right now, I am

A hardbound monkey with a typewriter. ~ Bookish Girl is reading Vikram Chandra's Red Earth And Pouring Rain.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere.

AFTERNOON RAAG
AMIT CHAUDHURI

It's a slim volume of poetry cleverly disguised as a novel. Lyrical, romantic, and subtle as a feather, it barely lasted me a stifling summer afternoon.

A simple enough love story elevated by a delicate interlacing of flashback, dislocation, and irony, it's a book so light that it practically evaporates as you read it. (Cotton candy comes to mind, but, unfortunately, that's a phrase reserved for a different kind of writing. However, I must admit that it's closest to describing the deliciously sweet floatiness of Chaudhuri's prose.)

I loved its elegance. And the sureness of its writing. (Remember the phrase 'felicity of expression'?)

Will be reading more of him, I'm sure.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.