If you are what you read, right now, I am

A hardbound monkey with a typewriter. ~ Bookish Girl is reading Vikram Chandra's Red Earth And Pouring Rain.

Monday, June 19, 2006

She's an extraordinary girl/ In an ordinary world.

LADY ORACLE
MARGARET ATWOOD

Needed to read something dramatically different from Pamuk. Normally a situation in which I immediately reach for a cheap-and-cheerful trashy bestseller. Except none was at hand.

What I did find, though, was an early Atwood that I've been meaning to read for a while.

Less than halfway through (so sue me, the World Cup only comes around once in five years!), and I'm struck by the lightness of her tone. There's also a certain familiarity to the way she writes, a sort of literary deja vu. Maybe I'm identifying too closely with her protagonist, but I can't help but wonder if it'll last through the book.

And, more importantly, if it does, will it shed any light on the plotline of my life? Hmmm.

2 comments:

EggHe/\D said...

Perhaps you are the proverbial L'etranger , a stranger in your own settings.

By the way I could not understand the short-shrifting of Pamuk.

Sangeeta said...

So many people have told me that about Pamuk! Maybe it's just been bad timing -- and, in a few years, I'll fall madly in love with his books.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.