If you are what you read, right now, I am

A hardbound monkey with a typewriter. ~ Bookish Girl is reading Vikram Chandra's Red Earth And Pouring Rain.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

And if you're good, baby/ I'll even let you break the dishes.

KITCHEN
BANANA YOSHIMOTO

Another first, from a well-known, much-respected writer. Yoshimoto's only the second Japanese writer I've ever read, and I'm far from disappointed.

Rather regret not having read her earlier. Have often picked up one of her books, read its synopsis, studied the author pic, and replaced it back onto the shelf. Quite out of character for me not to have given in to my fascination with that name. (Banana is a pseudonym, one she chose as being 'cute' and 'purposefully androgynous'; her real name is Mahoko Yoshimoto, and this is her official website.)

Lessons learned:

1. Kitchen has a lovely voice -- young, urban, feminine, quietly desperate. The themes are familiar: death, sleeplessness, loneliness.

2. This Japanese phase in my life might be boring, workwise, but it rocks literally.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...interesting layout.
Only just noticed the P.J. O'Rourke quote in the profile :)

Sangeeta said...

I'm trying very hard to improve the layout! Considering I know little/ no HTML...

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.